Friday, May 15, 2009

The Doss Letters - Part 3

Just in case he had not made himself clear.


Johnson County, Texas
May the 24th 1878

Ma,
I started last Monday two post office money-orders to John (Hall:) - one calling for $50; the other for $10. I have left about $30, and there is a constant drain on that. I don’t expect any more till cotton picking time.
At the same time I started the money, I started to you two voluminous letters of directions. Your tickets will show you what roads you must pass over (or what routes you must take.) They, no doubt, will be like mine (and like I wrote you.) One item more. At Texarkana you inquire for the “Texas and Pacific” train that goes to Dallas and Ft. Worth. There is a branch “Texas and Pacific” road that goes to Sherman. Your road goes by the way of [Jefferson] and [Marshall] and Long View. One of those enclosed thus [ ] you may not go by, but you go by Long View,
There is a branch road from Long View but you keep your eye on Dallas, and you will be all right. Will and Fanny say that they never changed cars from Texarkana to Ft. Worth, I have no doubt this is so. If you make it to Texarkana you can make it through. If you get on the wrong road, get back the best you can and try again!

Pap

No comments: