Monday, July 20, 2009

Monday Meanderings

We've been watching the Tour de France. Okay, I admit it - we didn't watch at all the past few years when Lance was not in it. But Lance is riding again, plus this year it's in high-def and the scenery has been gorgeous.

But I have a couple of questions. How many water bottles does it take to supply the 170+ riders throughout the entire 3-week tour? You watch the riders and they launch empty bottles into the countryside like mortar shells. And does someone come along and pick up the bottles that don't get snagged as souvenirs? I mean we are talking about some serious littering here! IMWTK

Actually, I just Googled the number of water bottles question and the answer seems to be 42,000! Now that really makes my second question pertinent.

I've mentioned a few times how helpful the Internet is for home repairs. I just wish I had checked the Internet before I tried to adjust a sprinkler head in the back yard. Then I would have known about the special little tool I needed and my misguided attempt wouldn't have resulted in that sprinkler now watering only the back patio.

Saw a bumper sticker that said "I child-proofed my home. But they got in anyway."

1 comment:

Rob said...

I'll have to see if I can find the link, but I have seen where the riders intentionally throw the bottles to where spectators are standing (or near them - not actually AT them...) knowing they will be picked up as souvenirs. And given that you see people hanging out out the entire length of the course, I can believe that most of them are picked up.

The PR cars - the caravan that comes through about an hour before the stage as they are closing the course - throws out candy and other goodies as well, including yellow chalk. They have had to reduce the number of cars doing this, however, because kids kept chasing candy out into the path of other cars...