Monday, July 9, 2012

Monday Meanderings - 7.9.2012

Thanks to the heat and the drought, here's the pecan crop for the year:
 
I noticed in the news that July marks the 75th anniversary of Spam. No, the meat-like product that comes in cans and is a registered trademark of the Hormel Foods Corp (in Austin, Minnesota, by the way).
 
"Hormel first introduced the canned, processed lunch meat in 1937; the name “Spam” came from combining the words “spiced” and “ham.” Shortly thereafter, it became a staple of army diets during World War II, when an estimated 100 million pounds of Spam were shipped overseas to feed Allied troops. Many returned home without much enthusiasm for the stuff – real meat was hard to come by during the war, and low-cost Spam found its way into nearly every meal for the troops, who called it “ham that didn’t pass its physical.” Today, an estimated 3.8 cans of Spam are eaten every second in the United States – even if we don't always like to admit it."
I dare say that unless you are of an older generation, or went on Trek in the Colorado mountains, you have probably never tasted Spam. I can assure you that Spam fried in a skillet, consumed at about 11,000 feet in elevation tastes a lot better than Spam in any other circumstance. While on Trek, we had one guy so excited about Spam he said, "I can't wait to get home and tell my Momma about this." We were pretty sure that his Momma, who lived through the Great Depression, knew all about Spam, thank you very much.
 
I had my iPhone and iPad with me at the hospital. One of the nurses saw them on the stand and said. "I see you drank the Kool-Aid." I told her that it was okay, I had four Windows computers at home to make up for it.
 
Tried to stay up late for the conclusion of the Rangers/Twins game last night. Rain delay and extra innings put it way past my bedtime. Somebody let me know how it came out.
 
 

2 comments:

pat said...

Rangers won, and no I went to bed at the 12th inning.
But it was the first thing I checked this morning.

Jason Locke said...

Spam is still popular in Hawaii. It's used in many dishes there. Locals from Central Cali who go to Hawaii talk about spam omelets, spam burgers, etc.