Friday, January 11, 2013

Duck Dynasty...and frog hunting

Let me be candid.

There is a marked difference of opinion concerning the Duck Dynasty TV series at our house. One of us wants nothing to do with this series; isn't interested in watching it, doesn't want to hear about it, finds no humor in it. That would not be me.

I, on the other hand, am in awe of whoever thought it would be funny to film a bunch of Louisiana red-necks doing really stupid things. I love Duck Dynasty and regret that I came late to this idiocy. Thank goodness A&E repeats them endlessly night after night.

I'm aware that these people are from my tribe (I confess that I have mixed emotions about this); I've seen the YouTube videos of Willy at Harding (his Alma Mater), and Elder Phil preaching. I know that when all is said and done, family values are promoted; I love that every show ends with grace and acknowledgement. And family gathered at the table. But all that is just icing. I think I relate to these people because I have known people just like them. Heck, I'm kin to people like them!

Case in point: last night I had the TV to myself and I was having a DD marathon. Oh, yes! One episode featured Willie, Jase and Si out frog hunting. The segment thoroughly explained the process - one person drives the boat and holds the flashlight to spot the reflection from the eyes of the frogs, one person tends the bucket containing captured frogs, and the third person sits in the very prow of the boat and snags the frogs from the bank.

That's exactly how we did it years ago. My brother-in-law Arthur handled the boat and light, Barb kept the lid on the frog container, and I leaned way over the bow to catch frogs. Caddo Creek empties into Possum Kingdom Lake near the family cabin, and one night we motored up the creek (literally) to catch bull frogs.

When a frog is spotted, there is a brief moment of immobility on the part of the frog. During this short interval, a skilled boat handler will steer the boat directly into the bank where the frog is sitting. If this is done with dispatch, and the frog-catcher is already leaning far out over the boat, the result is a frog in hand - and the frog-catcher sprawled on the bank at best, but sometimes in the creek itself. The trick is to not to let go of the frog.

 And yes, like the Robertsons, we feasted on frog legs afterwards. Happy, happy, happy!

No comments: