Monday, November 17, 2014

Monday Meanderings - 11.17.2014

The limbs that remained attached to the pecan tree out front have dropped almost all of their pecans. The squirrels have gathered their fill, I have gathered my fill, and as I write this there is a little old Vietnamese lady scratching through the leaves to gather what is left. I guess it's a cultural thing; from time to time folks stop and ask if they can pick up pecans, and almost everyone walking down the street gathers those that end up in the gutter or curbside, but this little lady has simply made herself at home.

At least the wind has stopped blowing. A cold front came through this week and the pecans dropped like bombs for a couple of days. I tried gathering while the wind was blowing and got beaned a half-dozen times. And this was Large Brush Pickup week by the city, so I had to get the last broken limb down out of the tree so they could haul it off for free. It had been up there a while, and after a few hours of trying to get it cut loose - it was just out of reach of my pole saw - Barb and I finally got it down. That's me, standing victoriously over my counquered tree limb.
I shelled about half a grocery sack last week and I still have three full sacks, so I gathered them up and took them down to the Senior Activity Center, where the friendly folks will run them through their big shelling machines for a modest fee, only to find that the Activity Center is closed for remodeling! I've been searching for an alternative cracking service, but thus far the closest I've found is in Burnet, about 45 miles away! Maybe I can hire the Vietnamese lady. My goal is to shell enough pecans for a couple of pecan pies for Thanksgiving. At 1 1/2 cups of pecans per pie, I figure I am good for about 400 pies.

1 comment:

pat said...

Wish I was at the stage you are with your pecans.

Hooray for getting the limb down.