Monday, November 24, 2014

Monday Meanderings - 11.24.2014

 I was not aware that our new phones are Amber Alert enabled. With an alarm that will wake the dead! If you have a weak heart I suggest you turn that feature off. On the other hand, Siri and I are becoming good friends, primarily for her ability to add reminders and items to my notes and lists.

I was watching the UT women play Tech in soccer the other night. When they posted the line-ups I noted that the Tech goal keeper's last name was spelled Czyz. I waited patiently for the announcer to pronounce this name for me, but for some reason, throughout the entire game he referred to the player only as the "Tech goal keeper." Understandably.

Some years back, in the spirit of "you should buy what you know," I purchased a few shares of Wendy's stock. We were big Wendy's fans back then, but over the years the chain faltered and I eventually sold my shares. But not before Wendy's had acquired the Canadian restaurant chain Tim Horton's and later spun them off as a separate entity once again. That's how I ended up owning shares in a Canadian Coffee and Sandwich operation. Those shares performed much better than Wendy's, by the way, so I have kept them all these years.

Now Burger King and Tim Horton's are merging. And I mention all of this simply because of the 600-page, fine-print, 4-pound book that arrived Priority Mail this week, explaining to me just how this merger is going to take place! I wonder just how many of these suckers hit the mail this week? And who read past the front cover?
The other morning I was checking a couple of things on my Google calendar, and a message popped up that said "You should leave for Dr B's at 9:00am." Huh. My appointment was for 9:30 and it takes about 30 minutes to drive there. Good job, Google. Then in a couple of minutes I got another message: "You must leave by 9:13am to avoid being late to your appointment with Dr B. You will be charged a fee if you do not keep your appointment!" Okay. That's a bit much, Google.

I hope your Thanksgiving brings you good food, good friends, and good memories with loved ones - from the past, and for the future.

No comments: