Monday, May 4, 2015

Monday Meanderings - 5.4.15

I stopped at one of those automated car washes the other day. I'm a firm believer of washing my car as often as annually, and it was time.

As it turned out, there was an attendant at this wash, as is sometimes the case, and he signaled me to stop short of the payment kiosk so he could "spot wash" some of the more troublesome spots, like the wheels and tires, and the odd bug splatter. This meant I needed to dig out a couple of bucks to tip the guy, so I took out my wallet.

First he gave the car an overall rinse, then he started in on the wheels and spots, then he switched to a long-handled brush and started going over the side and hood panels. At this point, I added another dollar bill to the tip.

Then he rinsed again and resumed washing other areas and the windshield, mirrors and rear window. Another buck. More rinsing, and then concentrated attention to the really baked on bug spatters. By this time he had spent more time on the car than it would get in the wash bay, and I was up to $5 in tip money and running out of small bills. Thankfully he sent me on through before I had to run over to the Taco stand next door and get change for a $20! But the car sure looks nice.

Drove by a flea market being conducted in an empty lot where a number of hand tools and small power tools were being offered for sale. I commented, "Want to buy some tools?"  Maybe it was the neighborhood, or the fact that these tools were by and large being sold out of the backs of pickup trucks and car trunks that caused Barb to respond, "Do you want to buy some of your tools?"

We went through our Spring Ritual - moving the plants back outdoors and hooking up the drip irrigation hoses. Then, of course, we went to Home Despot and bought the obligatory sacrificial  tomato plants- the fruit of which we annually offer up to the birds and squirrels and things that go bump in the night.

Best Chinese fortune cookie message ever: "Ignore the previous cookie."

Testing new eating places for breakfast. Fran's, long our favorite hole-in-the-wall cafe, continues to disappoint in numerous ways.  There's an eatery over on North Lamar named Ross' Old Austin Cafe and we've been there a few times. What we've tried thus far has been satisfying, but it is hard to mess up breakfast tacos. Best of all, service is prompt and spot on.

One of the things that interests me about Ross' is the "community table." Folks who evidently eat there often and know each other sit down at a large double table. It does not appear to be the same people every day - just folks who come often and want to chat with others who come often. It occurs to me that that's what we all want at every level. A place where we can be in community and fellowship. Cheers for the breakfast crowd. Works for me.

No comments: