Monday, February 15, 2010

MMs - Feb 15

Ahhhh. Let the games begin. I have long admitted that I'm an Olympic Junkie. It just gets better and better. My only problem is how I am going to watch all 840 hours of coverage with only one little DVR box to help.

I confess that I started bawling at the initial panoramic views and I'm not sure when I'll stop. Forget the Super Bowl commercials; what we've seen in just the first evening are far, far better. The GE commercial where the Ahhhs turn into Ode to Joy just wipes me out. Every time.

Observations on an Olympic theme:

Saturday night we watched men's short track. Thought about my not-brief-enough experiences on ice skates. Let's just say I was not accomplished.

Also saw some of the women's moguls. All I can say is that if that were me, on the first mogul you would have heard my knees go "crack! crack!" and the next sound would be "splat!"

And if I were a short-track speed skater, out in front and concentrating totally on getting around that rink, the first time someone behind me reached out and put their hand on my butt you would see two tracks gouged in the ice leading off to a hole in the barricades! How long does it take to get used to that? Just asking.

Love the winter Olympics.

Speaking of, the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue showed up last week (for the record, Barbara is the subscriber to this magazine - I don't even get to read them until after she is done) as did the Super Bowl issue. Quite a week for the old home town - the Super Bowl MVP and the SI Swimsuit cover model - both from Austin.


Eagerly anticipating the first blooms that have developed on our orchid plant since it was purchased. The stems just shot out; the blooms are slow to develop and the new leaf? Forget it. Sometime next year at the rate it's growing.

And if you are one of the guys that drives Google's street-mapping cars, you have probably seen a lot of strange things. But would angry Norwegians in scuba gear chasing you down the street be one of them?

2 comments:

Barbara said...

His statement about not getting the SI magazine till I read it is true, but I really have no interest whatever in the swimsuit issue. I don't need anything else to make me feel bad about my bodily shape.

Julie said...

Wow. I didn't know that Norweigens (sp) scuba dived. Or chased the google car with trident-like objects. I wonder how many addresses have these same guys in pursuit?