Monday, February 1, 2010

Monday Meanderings - Feb 1

"The U.S. Embassy in Lima said [last week] the train to and from Cusco and Machu Picchu has been canceled since Saturday [week] because of landslides, and the roads in and out of Machu Picchu have been closed. One bridge has collapsed and the other is under water."

Technically there is only one road out of Machu Pichu - a winding, twisty switchback that goes from the peak down to the bridge that crosses the river into the little town of Agua Callientes. If the bridge is out, you can't get to the town. If the rail line is out, you can't get back to Cusco from the town. The numbers vary, but by one account more than 1400 tourists had to be evacuated by helicopter. Now that would have been more excitement than we bargained for had that happened during our visit!

I wonder why I faithfully scan all the pictures of people at formal events here and are published on the Society page of the newspaper? I don't go to those parties, and I don't know anyone who does. But I still look. Maybe I'm hoping that I have a secret life that nobody (including me) knew about until my picture ended up on the Society page.

The birds should really learn to pace themselves. If they empty the feeder they should know that it is going to stay empty until the temperature gets well above freezing and the wind stops whistling. Or learn how to refill it themselves.

Here's a link to some really, really cool mugs.


And another example of nature photography gone bad:

2 comments:

pat said...

Don't drink coffee, but those are some really cool mugs!

Julie said...

Okay, that seal is _really_ cracking me up. Thanks for giving me a laugh out loud this morning!