Monday, May 24, 2010

Monday Meanderings - May 24

I was back at work this past week, and will be again next week. However, I have an interesting project at hand, and it looks like I'll get back to my rigorous retirement schedule after that.

I predicted back when Austin's Commuter Train started that there would be a train-auto accident in mere days - if not mere hours. If there has been such an accident it has been suppressed by the train police. No mention in the news or in the Chronicle, which would love to print that story. In fact, since the trains started zipping to and fro I haven't even seen a train until just this past week, and I cross the tracks frequently. Hmm.

The other day I noticed a car pulled over on I-35 and as I approached I could see some kind of large, flat sheet metal thingy leaning up against the passenger side of the car. The passenger was reaching through the window, pushing on this metal object, trying to get it away from the car. As I got closer, I saw that it was the hood of the car that the passenger was trying to move. I'm trying for some scenario that puts the hood up against the car on the passenger side, but I just don't have that much imagination.

And since we are on an automobile theme - I watched a woman at a stop light change shirts. No. It didn't happen like that. First, she put ON another tee shirt, and then with a great deal of contortionist activity, she took OFF the shirt under that. It didn't look easy.

If the sign in front of a Pharmacy advertises a "RX Happy Hour" what do you suppose that means? A bunch of people sitting around the counter talking loudly and popping pills? Inquiring Minds Want to Know.

And, in the latest episode of "Friday Night Lights" Coach Taylor has just pulled up to the pumps at a service station when someone asks him, "Can you tell me how to get to Lubbock?" The someone is Mike Leach. The real Mike Leach. Coach Taylor gives him some directions, and then Leach walks up to the window and says, "You're the coach at Dillon East. You've lost your inner pirate. Have you ever heard 'swing your sword?' You swing your sword like this (demonstrating with big side-to-side movements). You're swinging your sword like this" (demonstrating with small downward swings)."

"You have to find your inner pirate. A lot of times things just happen for a reason. We don't know why God wants it that way, but you can't make the best of it until you get back your inner pirate. You might be the luckiest man alive and not even know it."

Whereupon Leach gets in his pickup and drives off, leaving Coach Taylor dumbfounded.

I am confident no one with FNL gave Leach a prepared speech. You know they probably just said "We're going to roll the cameras and you give this poor coach of a losing high school team some advice."

Have you lost your inner pirate?

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Very long story as to the 'why', but I changed shirts like aforementioned woman at an outdoor function recently with sweet Robert Oglesby (still weighing in at about 150 dripping wet) standing in front of me should my contortions reveal anything. You're right. It isn't easy.

I'm old enough that prescription happy hour sounds MOST appealing -- especially if it means discounted pills!

My inner pirate is ready to tackle Monday!