Monday, May 3, 2010

Monday Meanderings - May 3

I dropped a bomb on the orchid plant the other day. Actually, I dropped a screwdriver but the result was the same as a bomb - it blew the plant apart! The long spike with 5 blooms was snapped completely off, 2 of the 5 blooms destroyed. The new leaf - that has taken months to get to any size at all - was shredded. I was heartbroken. However, there are still 2 blooms on another spike of the plant and Barb trimmed up the long spike so that we continue to enjoy the 3 remaining blooms as a cutting, but my, that is a fragile plant!

Standing in line the other day, the guy in front of me had on an Aggie tee-shirt with the image of the Texas Longhorn with the horns sawed off - pretty common Aggie artwork. But it also had a scripture reference with it. "I will cut off the horns of all the wicked. Psalm 75:10" He was a pretty big dude so I didn't mention that there is another part to that verse; the part that reads, "But the horns of the righteous will be lifted up."

And I think I  mentioned last week that it is a good thing that the "Fresh Cup Yogurt" place was "not real close or some place we drive by daily." Funny how many trips have taken us in that direction since then - and it is NOT a convenient place to get to.

And it may be time to refill.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Sorry about your orchid. Who knew screwdrivers could be so damaging. Do you think you might grow another from the cutting?

Barbara said...

Actually, the cutting didn't last long. But we've been at a couple of places that had orchids the last couple of days, so I've been looking at them, with an eye to getting another and having two. They really are gorgeous.

pat said...

Disasters just bring new opportunities!

Joann got a new orchid Sunday, one of the guests brought her one when she and her husband came for lunch.

Orchids are so beautiful; I'm glad you have success with them. I have 5' tall Larkspurs instead.