Wednesday, June 2, 2010

48 Years

Yesterday was our 48th wedding anniversary. I feel I should mark it in some way here, but I honestly don't know how. What do you say about 48 years - except that it was a long time ago, and that it seems like only yesterday, and that we've been married all our lives, and that we're just getting started and that I still don't think I'm this old (except in the mornings when I rise).

Mind you, it pales when placed against my parent's 72 years together. Rob once wrote "Many people do not have a chance to have that many years, much less that many married to someone." But 48 feels significant right now.

We've played "where were we this time 48 years ago?" all this weekend. Barb even called her sister to remind her that after the rehearsal we had to rush to the dinner to rearrange place cards because the sister and her boyfriend  were back together. Until that weekend we had reason to place those two cards as far apart as we could. It worked out. They celebrated 46 years in February.

We celebrated as hard as we could, which for us is hardly noticeable to others. We enjoyed not one but two lovely meals at restaurants we save for special occasions. Heaven help us, a fine meal seems to be the apex of our lives.

And we've thought a lot about the last 48. Good years. Good times. Good companionship. More to come.

Again quoting Rob, from a very early age: "Aren't we glad we've got family?"

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Congratulations, and what an amazing legacy to leave to your family! A good meal is about as exciting as I want to get these days. Sounds good to me!