Monday, June 14, 2010

Monday Meanderings - June 14

Wow. Busy week. Let's see. First I... then I ... and after that... Phew! I get tired just thinking about it.

We had a bulk trash pickup in the neighborhood recently. Counting all the couches out on the curb, we couldn't help but think that the WVU students would have had a field day in our neighborhood. But maybe that's where they get the couches they torch. Who knew?

This was ROT (Republic of Texas) Rally weekend. More than 40,000 bikers in town. Barb and I exercised a lot of discretion and left the Harleys in the garage this week. It was best for all concerned.

The three blooms left on the orchid plant have been in gorgeous bloom since late March - and they show no signs of folding, Now a new stem has sprouted and is growing rapidly. If the plant is true to form, it will be many weeks before I see any blooms from this new stem.

A lot of talk about the Big XII being absorbed in large by the PAC-10; in fact Colorado and Kansas have already bolted. If the rest of the teams go with the PAC-10 and form two divisions, I understand they will be named the "In-N-Out" and the "Whataburger" divisions.

Of course, the big news is that World Cup has begun. The DVR is working overtime, but thus far I have seen all the matches (at least the important parts). We set the DVR and went out Friday morning (when Mexico was playing) and the parking lot at WalMart was empty! I recognize that I'm making an ethnic generality here, but it was so noticeable as to be startling. I will say that I'm not fond of the sound of the vuvuzelas - the angry bee-sounding horns the South Africans are so fond of. It would be a shame to watch the entire Cup with the TV muted, but it may come to that.

And here's a picture that pretty much sums up US - England relations after Saturday:

1 comment:

pat said...

I go down the street on bulk trash week and think, "That's not coming to my house!"
There was a time when it might have.