Monday, February 24, 2014

Monday Meanderings - 2.24.2014

Well, the 2014 Olympics have come and gone. Enjoyed much of it, had a lot of fun joking about the Uzbekistans and the curling, but have to say that I'm ready to get back to other things in my life. Like waiting for the World Cup to begin.

Early on in the closing ceremonies, the orchestra was playing a melody that was familiar to me. I found myself supplying some words to the music and realized that I was singing the Breckenridge Buckaroo fight song - the adaptation of the theme from the movie Giant that Ida Jo Waller, Jimmy Browning and I back-doored into the official fight song so many years ago.

I was puzzled about that until I remembered that the composer was Russian-born Dimitri Tiomkin, who wrote the music for that movie and a dozen or so more, winning four Oscars in the process. Who, by the way, I once spoke to on the phone the day after he had won one of those awards.

We were watching the ice skaters the other evening and Barb commented that if she tried some of those jumps she would end up cutting her leg off. I said not to worry; neither of us could manage to get the skates off the ice far enough to expose the edge.

Things are starting to green up around here. There are some over-anxious trees starting to leaf out, and I noticed several "illegitimate" cabbage plants flowering along the roadside. These early starters might regret it, but the past couple of weeks of 80 degree weather will make you believe that winter is over.

Except for the folks in the Northeast. I think about them some as I sit out on the patio enjoying the balmy breezes, wondering if I should feel bad about enjoying the nice weather while they are still buried in snow. But then I decide that they made their choice. And I made mine.

Barb got one of these Groupon-type deals for a complete window cleaning the other day. It was a good price, so she had the company come out and clean our windows. We were astounded! We discovered that there are houses across the street, and we can see cars driving up and down the road. It's made such a difference that we have to wear shades inside our house now! Amazing.



No comments: