Monday, July 21, 2014

Monday Meandering - 07.21.2014

It is always nice to have a neighbor who looks out for you. One who might, say, call you late at night and say, "I was out walking the dog and noticed that your garage door was still up." Or who might call and say, "I don't think you are aware that a large limb broke off from your tree out front - and it's blocking the street!"
No. As a matter of fact, I didn't see the limb. And it was blocking the street big time. Actually, I had heard a noise like fire crackers earlier and got up to look out the window, but I looked the wrong direction and didn't notice the ginormous limb the other direction.

Barb and I got out with our teeny chainsaw and got the branches out of the street, but I called a tree company for the heavy lifting - the big branch visible in the middle left of the picture. No wind, just heavy with pecans.

Something new at the Learning Ally studio this week. Instead of taking a printed book into the recording booth, they gave me a tablet with a PDF version of a book on it. Somewhat like reading from a Kindle, but without the ability to touch a word to look up the pronunciation and definition. A number of publishers are adopting this technology, rather than sending out a pair of expensive print books.

Enjoyed a brief interval of Springtime in mid-July. So far, only one triple digit day this summer, but August is coming. We are not deceived.

Saw a sign on a lawn service truck this week that advertised the name of the company as "Kickin' Grass." And in smaller type it stated, "We do earthy things."

1 comment:

pat said...

Wow, big limb. It's a good pecan year for me also. I've had Aaron do a little trimming. It's hard to cut off half grown pecans that could become praline ingredients.