Monday, July 28, 2014

Monday Meanderings - 7.28.2014

Some six or seven months after the iconic burger chain In-N-Out came to Austin, we finally paid a visit. For the first several months, you had to be significantly more dedicated fans than we are - traffic was so heavy that it took a bevy of off-duty policemen to direct traffic in and around the locations. Now there are 3 In-N-Outs in or near Austin, and we only had to circle the parking lot four or five times before finding a place to park.
Our motivation for finally visiting was family related; Jana, Rob, Luke and Grace were here this past week, and since we have In-N-Outs (and Mighty Fine burgers) here in Austin and they don't in Lubbock... you get the picture. Come to think of it, they don't have a Pappasitos there either. Or a Fran's. We hit them all.

I think I have pretty much sealed the deal, as far as rainfall is concerned here on the homestead. After a fairly wet May and June, I put up a remote rain gauge. That's it on top of the little pole. You know what that means, don't you? Right. Probably won't rain again until December!
I had trouble finding a place to locate it. At first I thought I could put it on the top of the new fence. Too many trees. Okay, on the other side of the house. Ditto. The only open area is the middle of the back yard, but I guess that's a good thing, shade-wise.

You do remember what I had been using as a rain gauge previously, don't you?
From time-to-time I look at the statistics for this blog. I check the total pages viewed count, to make sure all four of my faithful followers are still checking in, and I look to see which posts have the most page views overall. For a long time, it was a post about Austin's Running Man - the dude who exercised daily on the grassy stretch by an HEB store. Then it was all about the Mystery Album, the odd set of 78rpm records I found in the shelf.

But for some reason, over the past couple of years, the post Traveling in Comfort, a description of early automotive evaporative air coolers has outstripped them all. At last count, nearly 5,000 folks have looked at that post. Why, I haven't a clue. But thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

pat said...

What you didn't say was how the burgers were. I still haven't tried In N Out. Although there hasn't been a parking problem here since about the first week they were open. There is a Chick Fil A just down the street that does a bigger business.