Monday, June 29, 2015

Monday Meanderings - 6.29.2015

I think I have been typecast. Several of the books that I have recorded recently for Learning Ally have been biographies or narratives concerning historic figures - John Quincy Adams and George S. Patton, for example. Started a new book last week on... Robert E. Lee.

Robert, like his father Harry "Light Horse" Lee, battled demons all his life. In Harry's case, it was a deeply flawed character trait that caused him to pursue his fortune through risky speculation and poor business choices, to the extent that he discarded a successful military career and abandoned his family to seek riches in the Caribbean, leaving his wife and children destitute.

Robert E. was determined to not be his father; he spent his life denying any personal gain, dedicating himself to military service for his country - again, though, at the expense of his family. Lee was firmly anti-slavery (though a slave-holder) and staunchly pro-Union, but something impelled him to hold his allegiance to the State of Virgina higher than that of the Union, his family, and himself.

It's an interesting read. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Wandering the aisles at Walmart  the other day I saw a display of fireworks for sale! Upon closer examination, I saw that what was offered was significantly less volatile and explosive than the items you find in the roadside stands every 4th of July; these were more along the line of "kiddy fireworks" sparklers, sit-on-the-ground fountains, pull-apart crackers and such.

It reminded me that - at least a few years ago - one could buy the higher-powered fireworks inside the Walmarts in West Virginia. That may not be the case now; when I search Google to check, I only find stands selling fireworks. In the Walmart parking lot!

Because of my vast stock holdings (more than 2 shares is holding(s), right?) I received a personal invitation to attend the annual meeting:
I'm thinking of showing up, if for no other reason than to see if they provide free eats, though I'm not sure about chips and queso for breakfast. Maybe I should get a couple of shares of Dunkin Donuts if these meetings are going to start that early in the morning.

No comments: