Monday, February 13, 2017

Monday Meanderings - 2.13.20`7

I have no idea what season this is. The calendar says mid-February. The thermometer says it's summer. The weatherman says it's going to get chilly. No wonder the trees are confused.

Our doorbell played out recently. At least, I think it was recently - I have no idea when it actually quit ringing. So I decided to replace it with one of those snappy new video door bells. You put the little transmitter unit at the door and connect it to the Internet and when somebody comes calling, your phone rings and alerts you that "There is someone at your front door" and you see a video of your visitor and you can chat with them over the phone.

It also has a motion detector, so if someone comes snooping around the door you get alerted to that. as well. And you get alerted when cars drive by on the street, or dogs wander through the yard, or you go out the door to check the mail, and you come back after checking the mail, or poltergeists drift by.

It is an equal-opportunity, over-achieving motion detector out of the box, but thankfully, you can dial that back somewhat to avoid cars, dogs and the such. Except for poltergeists. I still get the occasional odd alert for no discernible reason.

But our new doorbell does point out that we actually get very few visitors. I installed it last week and have been patiently waiting for someone - anyone - to ring our bell. At this point I was really hoping for a siding salesman just so I could sit in my recliner and say, "No thanks. Not interested."

We finally got a visitor Saturday night - after dark - when a friend stopped by with news about the health of a mutual friend. The bell worked as advertised, but it took me about 5 minutes to  get the phone app figured out so I could respond. But these days it takes me that long to walk to the door, so I guess that's okay.

The problem with living in The Very Best City in the USA (according to Us News and World Report) is...everybody else wants to live there, too. And they all come in cars, so our traffic now looks like this.
Okay. This is actually in Brazil, but it could be Austin. In fact, it could be any number of places in Austin. Just saying.

No comments: