Monday, February 27, 2017

Monday Meanderings - 2.27.2017

Use of hand-held devices while driving is illegal in Austin, so Siri and I often have blue-tooth conversations as I drive about. The other day I asked her what the current temperature was. She faithfully responded, "It's about 87 degrees." Then there was a pause, and she exclaimed, "Hot!"

Here's what it's like to live in Austin. The original plan was to meet Barb at Pappadeaux for lunch. I got there early and found that 50,000 Pre-K teachers (attending a conference at the hotel next door) were lined up waiting to be seated for lunch. The hostess said it would "Be about an hour," which in restaurant-speak means an hour and a half, at least.

I flagged down Barb (who couldn't find a parking place anyway) and we decided to go to Mandolo's Italian Kitchen. Mandolo's is located in the Triangle - about 3 city blocks full of shops, apartments and eateries. Of course, it's noon by then and there are no street-level parking places.

There is a parking garage located in the Triangle, but all but a handful of spaces are reserved for people who live there, but there were signs that said that there was additional parking in the next entrance. My worst nightmare come true - a parking garage divided into two parts, and to get to the 2nd part you have to find the exit and re-enter at a different location.

I'm thinking TXDOT Silver Alert and Lawton, Oklahoma in the rear-view mirror at this point, but fortunately Barb is driving and not only does she find her way out and back in, but actually finds a parking place. Okay, it's on the 5th level and I'm not sure where the elevator is in relation to the restaurant we are seeking, but it all turns out okay. Except it's now 12:30 and the line at Mandolo's is out the door.

Fortunately, they have a killer gelato bar at Mandolo's, so all's well that ends with a cup of mint chocolate. And Barb even found her way out of the parking garage. First try. Me? "Missing Elderly with gelato in his beard."

I needed to get my car inspected and my go-to inspection station was closed, so I ended up at a less-than-spiffy tire shop. I'm sitting in what passes for the waiting room, and I notice that the provided chairs are a bit unusual looking.
The seat and back appear to be genuine leather, but the base looks as if it was made from orange crates. Here's a close-up.
Yep. Hand-crafted. Eight of them. It would be interesting to know the back story on these,

No comments: