Monday, March 6, 2017

Monday Meanderings - 3.6.2017

It's going to be a great wildflower season in the Hill Country and thereabout. Thinking at this point that another day trip is on the agenda. Here's "The Perfect Texas Hill Country Wildflower Day Trip" suggestion.


There's a lot of furor over "false news" these days. Turns out that I'm guilty of spreading it. A few posts back I expressed my horror over an impending bacon shortage. Turns out there was no basis in fact for this story. It seems that hogs are just dying to provide all the bacon we want, and that's a lot. So, no more fake news for me. Say, did you hear that biscuits and gravy are good for you?

And while we are on the subject of death and dying (it is Monday, after all), another item making the rounds on the Inter Webby thingy is the obituary of the man from Galveston, whose family prepared a rather brutal obit, beginning:

"Leslie Ray 'Popeye' Charping was born in Galveston on November 20, 1942 and passed away January 30, 2017, which was 29 years longer than expected and much longer than he deserved."

It goes on at length to describe a life poorly lived, as described by an alienated family. So I just wanted to point out to my family that there's no need for them to go to the trouble of writing my obit, as I have already written a glowing laudatory complimentary somewhat honest tribute and filed it with the local newspaper. Just saying.

As a side note, I was astounded to discover, early in my broadcasting career, that most news services, do, in fact, prepare and constantly update obituaries and backgrounds of important people and hold them in readiness. So I knew they would be happy to have good, reliable information from me. 

On a brighter note, check out this obit about Collin County pioneer Gus Wilson from Traces of Texas, if you haven't already seen it.

By the way, for you lexophiles, "...a will is a dead giveaway."

No comments: