Monday, February 9, 2009

Serve Out

You know, when you decide you'll make a meal of the bits and pieces that are still hanging around.

First, an update on Howland Owl. Howland, by the way, was the name of the owl in Pogo - a cartoon series from wayyy back - the cartoon strip that gave us "Deck us all with Boston Charlie" (yes, I can sing the entire song from memory - and often do) and the greatest cartoon quote of all time, "We have met the enemy and he is us." But I digress.

We decided we didn't have an owl house - we have an owl motel. After the first owl visit, it went away for a couple of weeks, then showed up for one night, then gone a couple of days and now has been back for a couple of days. So we don't have a tenant - we have an itinerant, So either this is a traveling salesman type of owl, or the word is out that a good night's rest can be had in our backyard and various owls on the flyway of life are stopping by. Just don't know that much about the nesting behavior of owls to tell which. And they all look alike to me. We'll keep you posted.

And I did forward my $100 bill to the Nathan Dodd Memorial Foundation, Thanks Amy (and thanks to others for the suggestions, too).

A couple of thoughts springing from a wonderful afternoon at the Erwin Center, while watching the Lady Longhorns thoroughly trounce the Lady Techsters by 31 points:
  • Why do we sing the National Anthem before ball games? I know it is a very old tradition, but what is patriotic about a ball game. Any ball game?
  • And how do you suppose the man leaving the Erwin Center came to have half a dozen bananas in his hand? Free chicken wing coupons, yes. Bananas?
Just wondering.

And while watching the Grammy awards, I realized that if all I ever listen to is the Classic Vinyl channel on XM satellite, it is no wonder that I didn't have any idea who most of the strange looking folks were on TV. Except Robert Plant and Alison Krauss. And, dare I say it? Neil Diamond.

2 comments:

pat said...

And George Strait.
Last year when I downloaded "Raising Sand" (highly recommended by the Star-Telegram) I didn't know who Robert Plant was - I just knew I liked Allison Krauss. John filled me in on Plant. I like the whole album, and the song that won, but I really get a kick out of the little ditty, "The Fortune Teller."

I had asked John & crew about Howland - now I know why they didn't know. I remember how you liked Pogo.

Bob said...

I tuned in too late to hear George. I was busy catching up on recorded-but-unwatched episodes of "Friday Night Lights" which is still the best program on TV.