Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Lake Cabin Episode

Saturday morning I wrote a eulogy for the Lake Cabin in this space. All the information that we had at that point was that the "Possum Kingdom West" wild fire this last week burned the cabin - and more than 30 other homes and cabins in that area - to the ground. Information was understandably hard to come by during the chaos of the fire itself; everything was indirect and from very round-about sources, but by Friday night the family had accepted the fact that the cabin and everything in it was completely gone.

The reaction - especially that of my sister, who is now the keeper of the cabin - was remarkably upbeat. "It was only things we lost. We still have the memories." We'll start over. One bit of good news was that Rosanne had the photo albums that document years of good times at the lake. And oh, by the way, one family member said, "At last, a chance for air conditioning and heating." Another said, "Electrical wiring that does not pop off every time you start the microwave." And "A shower tall enough to stand up in." And "A big front porch."

Then, later on Saturday came the news. A text from my sister said, "You won't believe. The reports are wrong. The cabin is intact. The old shed and the green outhouse burned. The dock walkway also. It got as close as Mom's flower garden. [just feet from the cabin itself] Evidence [that] the fire department was there."

It was at that point that the remarkable upbeat-ness and the reserved attitude were discarded. I burst into tears (and so did other members of this family). Yes, it is only things, but we love what those things represent. And I am especially grateful, for many reasons, that the burden of starting completely over was not thrust on my sister. Sorry about the A/C, electrical circuits and shower. We'll just have to figure out another way to do those things.

And there's gratitude to the fire department and all those who are volunteering. As Rob said, "Next time I see a fire department holding a BBQ fundraiser, I'm stopping and pigging out."  Amen. I'll have more to say about that on the next post.


But, you know -  I sure will miss that old green outhouse. Not.

3 comments:

pat said...

Great summation of all the emotions involved. Still a little tense over it, but, as of 4 pm yesterday, no fire in that area.

If we just get enough insurance money to rebuild the dock I'll be happy.

Holly said...

You are much better at holding your emotions in than I am. I was ready to burst in to tears the minute I realized the fires were in the area on Friday and tears still come to my eyes any time I think about it - including right now.

Sarah said...

Even I have precious and hilarious memories of the cabin and thought of it this weekend as well. Thankful with you- and joining Rob at the next Volunteer Firefighter BBQ!