Wednesday, April 6, 2011

In need of marriage counseling

I'm appealing to you, my fewer than thousands of loyal followers to help me with what just might be a critical issue in my marriage. I notice that bloggers feel free to give advice on important stuff like marriages and child-raising and which detergent to use, so I'm assuming those who read blogs are equally quick to put your two cents in, so here goes. Take a look at this picture:


This is a cute little Christmas card holder, complete with Christmas cards. We put it out in December and gather all the greetings of the season and wishes for a joyous holiday, etc. Works well. However, do you see the date stamp in the lower right-hand corner? That's the problem. Our cute little card holder is still sitting on the table.

Now, here's the part that concerns me and possibly affects my marriage. I have this uneasy feeling that this little card holder and all the cards therein are a silent message to me. Each year, when we take down the Christmas stuff, the stack of cards appears on my desk so that I can check for changes of address and check off who sent us cards so that we can reciprocate, if we ever get through addressing the cards that we meant to send in 2004 and somehow never finished.

This year the stack of cards is still sitting in the holder. Am I to assume by that that I'm not pulling my weight around here, and I should not only record address changes and who sent us cards, I'm supposed to pick them up and carry them to my desk. Is this a message like when my socks just stay on the floor and don't make it to the laundry? Inquiring minds want to know.

So here's my question? What am I supposed to do about this? Continue ignoring the cardholder and its contents, giving our children something to talk about when they come to clean out the house? "Look, here are Christmas cards from 2010 still on display. I hope I never get that dotty."

Or should I sneak the cards out some evening after Barb has gone to bed. Should I put up the cardholder and pretend I haven't noticed that it has disappeared? See, this counseling stuff is hard. So many ways to go wrong, here.

Well, that's the issue. I'm standing by for your answers. No pressure here - just remember that you just might have the insight that might SAVE OUR MARRIAGE.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

1) He has no idea where the card holder goes.
2) the cards will go to his desk today.
3) some people are getting desperate for blog material.

pat said...

Right on, Barbara!