Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Stories for my grandchildren - Vincent DiNino

Vincent DiNino died last week.

For more than 50 years, DiNino was a presence at UT - first as the director of the Longhorn Band, then later overseeing all 6 of the University's bands. A newspaper article said "Beginning in the mid-1950s, DiNino built the Longhorn Band into a force every bit as formidable as coach Darrell K Royal’s football team. The two of them, along with longtime announcer Wally Pryor, were fixtures at UT games for decades."

And for at least one summer, Vincent DiNino directed the Boys State Band - and that's when I met him. It was a short friendship, to say the least. One rehearsal only. For some reason, Mr. DiNino took exception to my playing ability. Specifically, my ability to play the chromatic scale on my clarinet without fingering the keys. I just clamped down on the reed, harder and harder as I blew, and the resulting sound ran the gamut from the low E to G6, or thereabouts. It wasn't the cleanest scale ever played, I'll admit, and that may be why DiNino pointed at me and said, "You. Leave now."

Truthfully, it didn't hurt my feelings at all. I had already determined that he was very serious about his band, and expected college-level capabilities. I was neither serious, nor capable. In fact, I found myself desperately looking for any section in the music that contained notes I thought I might be able to play.

So I put away my clarinet and wandered over to where the Boy's State Newspaper staff was meeting and ended up having a lot more fun. Even when we got arrested by the UT police, a story that I've already shared with you.

No comments: