Friday, September 10, 2010

"Home cooking could be hazardous to your health, research finds."

I have mentioned that we eat out. A lot. And part of the justification for that is all the money we save on groceries. But now there is new scientific evidence to support eating out as the proper choice.

According to an article published in Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, a publication of the Centers for Disease and Control, "New research suggests that at least 1 in 7 home kitchens would flunk the kind of health inspection commonly administered to restaurants. At least 14 percent [of kitchens inspected] would fail - not even getting a C...according to Dr Jonathan Fielding, director of Los Angeles County Department of Health." The article goes on to state that at least 98% of inspected restaurants get an A or B each year.

Do I have to point out the key words above? Morbidity. Mortality. Disease. Oh, My! Those are some serious words. I'm not exactly sure what morbidity means, but I don't think I want to mess with mine.

Now I'm not saying that our kitchen is in that failing category. I mean, we wipe stuff up off the floor pretty quickly, especially if it's something we intend to go ahead and eat (5 second rule). Besides, most of the stuff we buy is already cooked. BUT WHY RISK IT?

I mean, if there is even a chance that there's green stuff on that bread in the pantry, wouldn't it make more sense to opt for a freshly baked bun from Schlotskys? Who knows what evil lurks in the back of that refrigerator? And I know  am pretty sure  think  hope that Chuy's passes all health inspections. So why tempt fate?

2 comments:

Rob said...

Back when Taco Bell packaged their hot sauce in small little tub-like containers, we discovered you could place a penny standing on end in one, leave for a minute or so, and when you removed it, the soaked half would be clean and shiny.

Given this, I would imagine that it doesn't matter if Chuy's passes, their hot sauce will take care of whatever escapes cleaning.

And is Morbidity and Mortality Weekly something you subscribe to? I know when you get older you check the obituaries every day to make sure you are not there, but seriously...

pat said...

Oh, this makes me feel better - I'm sure my never cooked in kitchen wouldn't pass inspection!