Monday, September 6, 2010

Monday Meanderings - Sep 6

Happy Labor Day, though you do wonder why it's called that when absolutely no one does any.

I knew it wouldn't last, but this past weekend was a harbinger. Got in some really good patio sitting. And at long last, some real football. It doesn't get much better than this.

I got a $5.00 check in the mail the other day from Time Warner - settlement in a class action lawsuit. I don't know what it was that T-W did to offend me but I'm pretty sure that I suffered more than $5.00 in grievous injury, public humiliation, inability to perform my marital obligations, or whatever. Maybe they will send the rest later. To add insult to injury, the letter stated in big bold letters that I was responsible for the tax ramifications of this settlement and that I should consult my tax adviser for assistance. I don't know what your tax adviser charges, but I don't think I'm going to come out ahead on this deal. Curse you, Time-Warner, for whatever it was that you did!

It may interest you that Steeler's strong safety Troy Palamalu's hair has been added to the list of celebrities' body parts insured for enormous sums of money. Head & Shoulders in this case sprung for the one million dollar insurance policy. Other parts on this list are those belonging to Dolly Parton, some Brazilian bomb shell, and assorted others, to name a few.

He said: "Wow! Gmail will now let you make free telephone calls to any phone in the US and Canada if your computer has a microphone."
She said: "Does our computer have a microphone?"
He said: "No."
She said: "And how is that different from our phone plan? We can call any phone in the US and Canada now for free just by picking up one of the 6 phones we have in the house - not to mention the 2 cell phones."
He said: "But look at the rates to other countries; we can call the Czech Republic for 2 cents a minute."
She said: "You do realize that we no longer know anyone in the Czech Republic, don't you?"
He said: "Ummm. Well, never mind."

I think I have mentioned that a homeless person volunteers at our Recording for the Blind. It may be that he lives in a shelter - he is not un-bathed -  but you know from his appearance that he is not prospering in society at large. When you speak to him he will say hello, but nothing else. He reads - without a director, sets his book down when he's done and walks out. The other day they handed me a psychology book on the subject of mass murderers and other social demons (!!!) and the studio manager said in jest that we could no longer call people evil, that bad people were victims of society. I responded, "I'm depraved on account of I'm deprived," and then said, "What movie is that from?" Without pausing as he walked by, our "homeless" reader said, "West Side Story. The song Gee, Officer Krupke." and kept right on walking. The moral to this story? Don't judge a book by its cover.

And if your iPhone needs a little decoration, I suggest one of these decals:

No comments: