Monday, September 13, 2010

Monday Meanderings - Sep 13

"Didn't it rain, children?
Talk about a rain, oh my lord.
Didn't it rain? Didn't it rain?
Didn't it rain, oh my lord?"

It wasn't Memorial Day, 1981, but it was close. The general area got 9 to 12 inches of rain; some more than that. Lots of washed out roads and bridges, lots of low area flooding. They're still looking for some folks who were foolish enough to drive around the barricades. It's comforting to know that our house is at the same elevation as the top of the State Capitol building.

Barb delivers Meals On Wheels. The other day, someone on her route came to the door wearing a tee shirt that said, "I have multiple personalities - and none of them like you." O-kay.

Later she stopped at Poke-Jo's for her lunch. In the line ahead of her was a deputy sheriff who, judging from the reaction of other customers in the line, was given a very nice discount for his meal. Hearing the comments, the cashier said, "Hey, anyone comes in here wearing a gun gets a 50% discount, and if they point it at me, they get a 100% discount!"

Bumper sticker on an old rusty Oldsmobile: "Zero to sixty - in 15 minutes"

Saw a family the other evening - the dad was wearing a Mickey Mouse tee shirt, the mom was wearing a Mickey Mouse tee shirt, the daughter's shirt was logo-less. Additionally the dad had a Mickey Mouse tattoo on his leg. Don't know what message this sent. Maybe the parents just came back from Disney World and the girl didn't go? "My parents went to Disney World and all I didn't even get the lousy tattoo?" Unsure.

We were pleased to find out on Saturday that the corporate office for Costco has decided it's Fall once again - never mind the 95 degree temperatures. The corn chowder soup from Costco is one of our favorites, but they only offer it in the Fall. Yea, Fall!

I started with a song, I'll end with a poem. While on the treadmill I listen to a variety of podcasts. One of them is "The Writer's Almanac" with Garrison Keillor. If you've not heard this program it is a daily message with about 5 minutes devoted to "this day in history" historical notes, mostly about literary folk, and then Keillor finishes with a short poem.

For September 3, he read:

I've always enjoyed her sense of humor
by Gerald Locklin.

She's an old friend
And I don't see her very often,
But she has a way of turning up
When I'm talking to a girl I've just met,

And she will invariably storm up to us
And confront me with, "where is the child support check?!"

Then turn on her heel and storm from the room,
Leaving me to make inadequate explanations.

No comments: