Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Does anybody really know what time it is?

Have I mentioned that I really, really dislike Daylight Savings time? That it makes as much sense as cutting a strip off the blanket to sew onto the other end? That it long ago lost its reason for being - as a means to aid the war effort. The World War One war effort. That, according to a number of studies, it actually increases the use of energy, not decreases it? Well, it helps the farmers, you say. No, farmers hate it. Farmers, who must wake with the sun no matter what time their clock says, are greatly inconvenienced by the change.

There's all the psychological effect of getting up in the dark, or coming home in the dark, and the biological adjustments, and the dragging around for days until you get used to the change, especially in the Spring. But the biggest problem is CHANGING ALL THE BLINKING CLOCKS! Well, okay, just the one on the VCR actually blinks and I admit I don't ever set it. But let's just inventory the clocks and what it takes to adjust them:

Kitchen
Microwave - <1 minute (they should all be this easy; press a maximum of 6 buttons)
Oven - 1 minute (cycle back to the previous hour on a 12 hour clock twice because you overrun it the 1st time))
Coffee Maker - 3 minutes (figure out which buttons to hold and cycle back through 24 hours)
Wall clock - 4 minutes (30 seconds to change, 3 1/2 minutes to get it to hang on the wall again)

Bedrooms
4 clocks - 12 minutes (3 - cycle back 24 hour clocks, one old fashioned move the hands)

Cars
My car - 1 minute  (clearly labeled buttons, 12 hour clock)
Barb's car - 60 minutes  (55 minutes to find the instruction manual, 4 minutes to decide which button is which and 1 to change a 12 hour clock)

Miscellaneous
2 wrist watches - 2 minutes
Lawn sprinkler - 5 minutes (okay, I really don't change this one, but if I had to figure out how...)
Answering machine - 60 minutes looking for the manual, and if I could find it another 5 to change it)
Blood glucose monitors - 10 minutes looking up the instructions, 2 each for 2 meters

Two hours and 48 minutes. Okay, let's be generous and take the instructional manual searches out and round down to 45 minutes total. Folks, the US Census estimates that there are 114,825,428 households in the US right now. That's 86,119,071 hours frittered away; more than 9,830 person-years! We're not ever going to get that time back, people!  And we've got to do it all over in the Spring! And don't get me started on what it costs businesses to make this change!!

All I've got to say is thank goodness that all the computers, iTouches, phones and cable boxes auto set, because I would still be looking for the manuals.

How many clocks do you have? And how long does it take to change them?

3 comments:

pat said...

I can tell by this list that I have missed a few of mine.

The one I really identify with is hanging the wall clock back on the wall X 4.

Rob said...

Perhaps we could skip Daylight Saving (no S, by the way) Time altogether if you got rid of about half of your clocks? Seems to me that's a lot of energy just keeping them things running!

Besides, wasn't it Confucius who said: A man with two watches never knows what time it really is.

Julie said...

I'll tell you what, though - it zapped a lot of sugar-induced energy out of my preschoolers. And for that, I was extremely grateful.