Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The mystery album


 During the great carpet caper we unloaded all the albums and CDs from the very heavy entertainment center. During the put-back, Barb came across a mystery album - a set of four 78rpm records in a generic binder.

First, maybe I need to explain what a 78rpm record is, for the younger set. Um... maybe I need to start by explaining what a record is. You know, those things that provided music before CDs. You do remember CDs, don't you? Okay, I'll just say that 78s are very old technology. One song per side, 3 minutes max. You played them on record players, devices where you stacked records up on a spindle.... Never mind.

Anyway, this album of 4 ancient-technology records showed up in our collection of LPs (which are themselves antiques). And we have no earthly idea where they came from. And the mystery deepens when you look at the artists and the songs.

Cal Tinney: "Life Gets Tee-Jus, Don't it?" and "I Wish I Had A Dad"
Jimmy and Leon Short: "Move It On Over" and "Kentucky"
Tex Williams: "Smoke, Smoke Smoke that Cigarette" and "RoundUp Polka"
Homer and Jethro: "I'm Moving On No 2" and "So Long No 2" 

I had to Google Cal Tinney and the Short brothers; Tex Williams and Homer and Jethro I was familiar with. By the way, if you are really bored, here are YouTube links to  "Move it On Over" and "Smoke, Smoke Smoke that Cigarette"

As for Homer and Jethro, they were masters at poking fun at the music of the day with parody versions of popular songs. For example the original version of "I'm Moving On" written and made famous by Hank Snow starts off with:

That big eight-wheeler rolling down the track
means your true-lovin' daddy aint coming back.
Cause I'm moving on, I'm rollin' on.
You were flying too high for my little sky,
So I'm movin' on.

Homer & Jethro's version starts:

The old hound dog was feelin' fine
Till he fell in a barrel of turpentine
He's a-movin' on, he's a-movin' on
He passed the gate, like an eighty-eight
He's a-movin' on.

And finishes with:

We travel a lot to make our showin'
The way we sing we have to keep on goin'
We're a-movin' on, we're a-movin' on
We've gotta go, here comes Hank Snow
We're a-movin' on.

They just don't write them like that anymore!

But the real issue is - WHERE DID THESE VINTAGE RECORDS COME FROM?

Anyone? Anyone?

1 comment:

pat said...

Sounds like something that Arthur would have given you, but in the days of 78's we didn't have enough money to buy them.