Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Finder's Keepers

Prominent in the news the other day was news of the auction of of an old Chinese vase found in the attic of a London home. That vase, sold by a family clearing out a deceased relative's house, went to a buyer for 51.6 million British pounds. That's $83,000,000 in US dollars! Eighty-three million!! The sellers, the sister and nephew of a deceased elderly woman, found the vase clearing out her "very modest home" in a London suburb. It had been in the family at least since the 1930s, though no one knows how it was acquired.

My first thought was what might I have acquired when my parents cleared out the house in Breckenridge? Any sleepers in the keepsakes that found a home with us? Let's see... there's a dining room set that, while nice furniture, won't bring any interest at Sotheby's. Same with the cedar chest. Oh wait! There's the glass egg that a teacher gave my father when he was a child. Nearly a century old, that's got to be worth...uh...let's see... $14.95 plus shipping for a comparable egg on EBay! Sigh.

But all is not lost. I see a great deal of value in hinting broadly that there is a similarly valuable artifact hidden in our attic! An attic that I have no intention of cleaning out, but one that must someday be emptied of its treasures. See, treasures, that's the operative word! Who knows what uber-valuable trinket reposes up there? Only one way to find out. Haul it all down and see what we've got. Or did I put it in the shelves in the garage?

Happy Hunting!

3 comments:

pat said...

Steve got the stuff that Arthur had squirreled away in the attic down one year. It consisted of a very heavy tool box full of large tow chains - how did he get them up there? - some other tool boxes full of JUNK, some fishing poles, some boards, and I don't remember what else. No Chinese vases!

Rob said...

When we moved from Tyler, we had a few things in our attic that we were going to get when we came back to close on the house. Since we closed via FedEx, we never made it back and I can't say I have really missed that stuff...

When we move you from your house, I don't think we will miss that stuff, either.

Bob said...

Wait. Did I mention the valuable hidden treasure in the attic? You don't want to leave that. No, indeed.