Monday, February 14, 2011

Monday Meanderings - 2.14.2011

Last Friday I had a simple medical procedure which involved injecting a dye into the arteries. That's called an angiogram, though this had nothing to do with the heart - it was to facilitate an eye exam. At the time, the technician told me that this dye would show up in my urine later, and might even give me a jaundiced pallor.

Sure enough, that evening, you might have heard this conversation:

He said: "HOLY COW! Would you look at that! Barb! Come take a look!"
She said: "What? What are you talking about?"
He said: "My pee! You got to see this!"
She said: "Absolutely not. I'm not looking at that."
He said: "But it's bright yellow!"
She said: "The technician told you it would show up in your urine."
He said: "Yeah, but he didn't say it would glow in the dark. You gotta see this!"
She said: "Just flush, dear."
He said: "If this shows up in my skin I'm going to look like a day-glo banana!"
She said: "Yes, dear."

A new iPhone app to assist Catholics penitents is getting quite a buzz.  Apparently the text-based app takes you through the 10 Commandments with a slew of questions about each. You respond accordingly and the app comes up with a list of sins and displays a written act of contrition. I'm really, really tempted to plunk down the buck ninety-nine just to get a look at the questions, but the app would probably ring me up for squandering money. I'm guessing questions like: "Did your horoscope really tell you to skip church this morning?" "Watch Two-and-a-Half Men a lot?" "Called your mother lately?" "Alone, or with others?" 

I have mentioned that we think it would be very helpful to old folks like us to keep a little wrist-band white board and make notes so that when we get to the other room we would know why we were there. I noticed that Barb was trying out the concept, but she may have to adjust the form factor.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Actually, I was practicing my Greek memorization words for the test today!

pat said...

There are other colors - check with any woman.