Monday, February 7, 2011

Monday Meanderings - 2.7.2011

Woke up to less than a foot of snow Friday morning. You can judge how much less by the fact that it was mostly gone by noon. Saturday we were in shirtsleeves again. Gotta love Texas weather.

How 'bout them... uh, well. Packers. Three turnovers will do that to a team. We had a big Super Bowl Party here. Served the ever-popular Rotel and Velveeta queso, chips, dips, snacks and ice cream. Next year we may invite others to join us, but they will have to promise to watch the game and no yakking!

Rozanne posted this regarding the Super bowl: "As for all this ice and snow I think I know what happened.... Early this week, Jerry Jones was talking about the upcoming Super Bowl. Meanwhile up in heaven, Tom Landry leans over to God and says "You know what would be funny?"

Recently someone in Orpington, England downloaded the 10 billionth app from Apple's iStore. Okay, I have to stop and think about that for a minute. Apple's last quarterly report indicates that they have sold just over 51 million phones. Let's see... 10 billion divided by... wait my calculator (on my iphone) can't compute that! Never mind. The point is downloading the 10 billionth app entitled this account to $10,000 in credit, either iTunes or App store - the news is not clear about that. I hope it's good for anything Apple sells. How long would it take you to buy 10,000 songs?  By the way, the person who won thought it was a sales call and hung up on Apple initially.

This week we finally caught up on our TV programs that we have been recording. Took a while, but pickings have been slim sports-wise, so we've been knocking off a couple of episodes a night. Did I mention that we had a LOT of programs saved? Now that the Super Bowl is over all we have coming up is March Madness. Maybe we should have kept back a few programs to watch.

I mentioned that my family raised rabbits. The rabbits that ended up in Mom's "Chicken" casserole were around while I was still at home. Later Mom and Pops kept rabbits as pets. Saw an article in the paper about the Chinese now observing "the Year of the Rabbit." Article stated that if you started out with 1 fertile female rabbit it is theoretically possible that in 7 years you could have more than 95 billion rabbits. That puts Apples 10 billion apps in the shade, doesn't it.

From time-to-time I check out a forum that posts tech support/customer interchanges. Here is one of the better ones:

Customer: “I plugged a mouse into my computer, and it died. Now I can’t get it out.”
(We review for a few minutes and I deduce that he has plugged a mouse into his USB port, but it’s stuck inside and won’t work.)
Me: “Okay, so grab the cord and try to pull on that.”
Customer: “You mean the tail? That’s already in the port.”
Me: “Well, the cord shouldn’t be. You’re supposed to plug in the other end.”
Customer: “You mean the head? I don’t think it would fit.”
(Suddenly realizing what the customer has done.)
Me: “Did you plug in a live mouse to your computer?”
Customer: “Yes, I believe I said that.”
(I put customer on hold for several minutes. When I recover I realize I don’t know what to tell the customer I call my supervisor who instructs the customer to bring the laptop into a repair shop. I get the customer back on and tell him this information.)
Customer: “But Mickey’s gone for good now, right?”

Yes, he is. Have a good week.

No comments: