Friday, November 18, 2011

A small memory abberation

From time to time, we go up the highway to Pflugerville, to a Catfish restaurant that we enjoy. On the way, the road curves to the right, and just at the bend of that curve is an eating establishment called "Charlie's Steak House." Every time we pass it, I have a small memory hiccup and I think of trips to the little town of Lowake and steak dinners.

I can only guess that one of the two steak houses that once were in Lowake was named Charlie's, or was located at the bend of the road, or both. I do know that this was not the one we went to; we passed Charlie's and stopped at the Lowake Steak House.

Further clouding my memory is that this was all about 50 years ago, when a student in Abilene. A trip to Lowake was a special date; it was, after all about 75 miles away, down toward San Angelo. And the steaks were not cheap, even back then. Huge, but not cheap. You only took hot girls to Lowake. Barb says she doesn't remember going with me, but I am certain that I did take her. I remain adamant on that point.

Lowake was a hoppin' place, to have been in the middle of nowhere. There was even an airstrip for the fly-in traffic. Possibly, part of the attraction was the availability of adult beverages served with your meal. Abilene was located in what was at that time a dry county. Not the case in Concho County. I was always too chicken, but it was always very interesting to look around and see fellow students (and one or two faculty members) pretending that was not their beverage in front of them.

There is still a Lowake Steakhouse today. I understand that it's hard for you and your date to get out for less than $60, even without adult beverages, and the reviews are not too favorable. I don't know if ACU students still make that trip or not. I know the few times that I went down there remain memorable; so much so there's a little mind trick every time I pass by Charlie's Steak House.

No comments: