Wednesday, November 2, 2011

You picked a fine time to lose weight, Lucille!

I finally broke down and went back to see Dr. S - otherwise known as the Rotor-Rooter guy. Sinus congestion and blockage was driving me (and all those around me) crazy, so I made an appointment to start up the process that will eventually end up with long sharp objects in places I never want them. Hey, I've already had needles stuck in my eye this year! What's an electric drill up the nose after that? Oh. Sorry. I wasn't going to be so descriptive.

But first, Dr. S. has to deal with the immediate issue that I can't breath through my nostrils much of the time. That's not a new problem with me; I was 14 years old before I learned that you were supposed to be able to breath through both nostrils at once. That's why you had two, right? Breath through one for a while, then it stops up and you breath through the other one. It's when they gang up on you that's the problem. So, I'm back on industrial strength steroids.

The Doc asked me if I tolerated steroids well. I said he probably ought to ask my wife that. Other than the occasional outbursts of rage ('roid rage it's called in the sports world) and the staying awake all night, steroids are wonderful! They cure what ails me, Big Time! I can breath freely, I can smell things, I've got boundless energy (until I crash). I love 'em. Oh, and there is that other little problem. On steroids, I want to eat every thing on the table and then I want to start in on the table itself!

Now comes the conflict. A couple of weeks earlier I had an annual check-up with Dr. R. Tests came back pretty good, but there were a few things he didn't like - mainly my weight. So after reaming me out pretty good a stern lecture some counseling on the Doc's part, I came away with the conviction that it was time to do something. Dr. R. does not preach dieting; he is wholly vested in the gospel of changed lifestyle. I read that that's a good thing and that there are a number of ways to approach it, but approach it you must.

So, with my good wife's help, I am now walking the path of portion control and healthy choices. And I must say that so far it only partially sucks. I was managing pretty well until I augmented my diet with 50 MG of Prednisone a day. Did you know that with a little salt, the morning newspaper is not too bad? Bland, but filling. And I'm not saying a word about the missing potholders.

Oh. And exercise. Barb walks at the Mall. Thank goodness she just walks and doesn't shop. I walk on the treadmill because Dr C. (yes, I can sing the alphabet song with my doctor's initials) does not want me walking outside "vacuuming up allergens." But I wasn't walking that often, nor very far. So I set up the laptop on the treadmill and now I watch episodes of old TV programs (just finished the final season of Friday Night Lights. I'm a little behind. And I still say it's the best thing ever done on TV!) I haven't figured out the download streaming thingy so I get DVDs of old movies from the library.

Watching programs while you walk is similar to driving and listening to Books on Tape. First thing you know you are in New Mexico and some police officer says you crossed the border doing 90. You sort of loose track of time and distance stuff.

So. Now you know more than you ever wanted to know about me and my diet, exercise and meds. But that's just the steroids talking. You want to make something of it??!!

1 comment:

pat said...

I told the nurses before my last surgery that steroids make into "chatty cathy" - they agreed.

But I got the good news this morning. No more steroids for this next surgery, whenever that happens. In fact he said no more steroids ever.

I could believe him if he was my only doctor, but there's Drs. M, P, R, and W. He was Dr. A.