Monday, January 16, 2012

Monday Meanderings - 1.16.2011

Checking my notes, it would appear that I didn't wander all that much this weak. Pretty sparse on things to report.

A couple of days were invested in getting the spouse through a certain medical procedure - the one that shall not be named, but involves drinking a few gallons of foul tasting liquids ahead of time. She's pretty happy that since everything is OK, she's done with that unpleasantness, since 10 years puts her beyond the time range that they recommend the procedure. I, on the other hand...

And speaking of doctor visits, I really wanted to tell my eye doctor that if he is going to spend 20 minutes on the phone arranging to lease or buy a hunting lodge in Montana while I am waiting on him in the exam room, he should at least shut his door so I think he's doing something important during that time.

I've mentioned this event before, but here's your chance to participate in a real iconic bit of Austin weirdness. Sign up now for the Austin Gorilla Run next Saturday. The registration fee for the 5K fund raiser includes a full gorilla costume, which you get to keep. I'm pretty sure no one else wants a gorilla suit after you have run a 5K race in it, so that makes good sense.

Went to a funeral home for a visitation the other evening. That seems to be an event that happens with increasing frequency, by the way. We sort of figured that we were in the wrong section of the funeral home when everyone we saw had a white sash tied around his head. Not our tradition.

And it's rare to have an orchid bloom in the middle of the winter. What is even more rare is for the bloom to have leaves! Look at this bloom, and the stem behind it. Leaves!


I learned that this is a Keiki - the beginnings of a new orchid. It will put out air roots, as well as leaves, and can be removed and potted. Cool!

Enjoy Martin Luther King day. I hope it's a holiday for you, as it is for me. Oh, wait...

No comments: