Monday, January 9, 2012

Monday Meanderings - 1.9.2011

Drove by one of those clothing collection boxes that sit on street corners and there was a single snow ski propped up against the box. No sign of the mate, and it made you wonder if there were some ski togs inside the box; say a bib and some long johns. It really set me to wondering about the back story here, and where the other ski was. Somehow, I think this pertained to a story with an unhappy ending.

Christmas trees are appearing on the curbs around town, waiting for the city to pick them up for recycling. That makes me think of my youth, when we would roam the neighborhood after Christmas, gathering up all the trees that had been set out, dragging them to some central location for an annual bonfire. Sometimes, before the big bonfire, we divided them up into tree forts and had roman candle wars with other neighborhood kids, but don't tell anyone that we did that because it definitely wasn't a safe thing to do.

He said (noting the recent 15 cent increase in the price of gasoline): "They said on the news last night that the cost of gasoline is headed for record highs."
She said: "Ummm."
He said: "I guess it's time to buy a couple of bicycles."
She said: "Too expensive."
He said: "No, I'm not talking high-dollar bikes, here. If gas costs..."
She said: "No. What you are forgetting is the cost of the emergency room."

I guess we do eat at Fran's too much. Our favorite waitress pointed out which table was hers, but before she let us sit down she walked over and tested it to see if it wobbled - something we always do, but didn't know it was that obvious.

I have featured the miss-spellings and malaprops of the Crestview Baptist Church sign before. Recently it read, "Welcome to our warship." Glad to know that is a problem with the Baptists, too.

And yes, I have weighed myself now that the holidays are over, and yes, my weight did reverse direction SINCE I SHOWED NO RESTRAINT WHATSOEVER!! But it was not as bad as I expected, and I should be back on track in, oh, say another 6 months, or 10,000 miles - whichever comes first.

No comments: