Monday, May 14, 2012

Monday Meanderings - 5.14.12

I can assure you that the recent heavy rains, each in excess of two inches, are most appreciated. Our too-low lakes got a much needed boost, and we have a chance of keeping our lawns green until at least June.

Two of our favorite waitresses are, or soon will be, on maternity leave. We've been leaving baby bibs for tips. Strangely, none of the other waitresses seem available when we come in - only the guys.

She said: "Remind me to look up the number for the agency in charge of the "Missing Elderly" highway signs, so I'll have it when I need it."
He said: "I should have turned back there, right?"

My allergist was out of the office this past week. He was in Seattle to support his daughter's efforts to win a trip into space. The first part of the contest was simply, "Vote for Me" but the finalists had to perform "astronaut-like" endeavors, including answering a series of questions while running around the rim of the Space Needle. Yikes! She came in second, much to her mother's relief.

Graduation announcements in the mail, photos of proud graduates on Facebook, going to a popular restaurant at 2 in the afternoon this past weekend and having to wait for a table - it must be that time of the year. I recall my Senior year in college, discovering about two weeks before the end of the semester that if I could wrangle enough retroactive performance credits out of my professors, I would have enough hours to graduate.

Performance credits were awarded at the conclusion of the semester, after you had appeared in stage presentations, or worked a certain number of hours back stage. I don't remember how many I set out to collect; I just remember going to this professor and saying, "Dr. So-and-so is okay with these credits if you are," and then going to Dr. So-and-so and saying, "Professor Such-and-such is okay with the credits if you are." I barely had time to rent the cap and gown, but I did graduate with my class.

Seen on the Internet: "How many lawyer jokes are there? Just three. The rest are all true."

No comments: