Monday, February 25, 2013

Monday Meanderings - 2.25.2012

No meandering for me this week. Uh-uh. Last Monday I had a little surgical procedure to take care of an umbilical hernia (technically a herniorrhapy) so it has been a stay-at-home, nest in the recliner and count the number of hours/minutes left before I can take another pain pill type of week.

Comfortable as the recliner may be, there is a limit as to what the seat can endure. One ends up walking around the house simply to avoid sitting down again.

During pre-op, everything is ready except for the visit from the doctor. He finally pops in, says, "Put your finger exactly where this hernia is." Never mind that he has poked and prodded on it at length during an office visit - so I do just what he asks. At that point, he takes out his ball-point pen and marks an  "X" on the spot, says, "See you in surgery," and pops out. Maybe he's the forgetful type - who knows?

Well, the buzz around town is that the United States Olympic Committee has asked Austin to consider bidding on hosting the 2024 Summer Olympics! Really?  As my friend and ESPN commentator Sean Adams said, "...we barely have the infrastructure for lunch hour traffic. Olympics? Let's take that as a compliment and move on."

My neighbor was out mowing his lawn this weekend. Things are greening up, but I think he was pushing it just a bit. Maybe he thought it a good idea to mow while the weather was nice and not wait till the heat of summer.

Back when I was on the lecture circuit, after some difficulty, I got into Atlanta on the tail end of a big snow storm that had blanketed the East. I mentioned to my first group that I had already mowed my lawn twice. My reviews from that group were a little off; decided not to mention mowing to my second class.

No comments: