Friday, February 1, 2013

What's in a name?

 One of the interesting – and challenging – facts about genealogy is that you are never sure how your ancestors spelled their name. Take Starnes, for example. When the first group of Palatine Germans in my father's line sailed to the US, they spelled their surname Staring. One generation later, it had transformed to Starnes, with a sprinkling of Starns, Starn and Stearns. My mother's line descended from English Brambletts. Or is it Bramlett? Or Bramlet? First names varied as well. One of my ancestors is either Archibauld, Archibald, Archibal or Archibalt, depending on which  document you are looking at. Or perhaps no name was recorded. You would be surprised how many early family Bibles list the birth of “Sister” and "Son." No other name is given. Maybe they got around to naming the kids. Maybe not.

Then there is the generational issue. Is the person listed in this old document Thomas I, Thomas II, Thomas III - or is this the Thomas who is a son of a brother, named after his Uncle? And don't get me started on cousins marrying, or widows marrying brothers of their deceased husband and vice versa.

I came across an interesting document that really points out the variations of early family names – the will of Valentine Stearn, my four-times-great granduncle. In it, he lists his wife, father and several other relations with the surname Stearn. Then he lists some cousins (and in-laws – his wife belonged to this clan) and spells their names as Conegham,  Coneygham, Conynyham, and Conynham. All in the same document! One generation later this clan begins calling themselves Cunningham.

“In the name of God Amen being sick and as it appears to me very nigh unto death: but blessed be God in my perfect Sense and Memory; having comitted my Soul to God, who gave it; and my body to the dust; to be decently buried at ye discretion of my Exes nothing doubting, but they shall be united at the Resurrection; As for what worldly goods it hath pleased God to bless me with; I leave it in manner & form as follows; and first I Order that what debts I owe, be paid of the whole of my Estate; Next I order that my Beloved Spouce, Jean Stearn shall have ye whole of my Estate Excepting such Legacies as is after mentioned: ITEM I leave to my honored Father, Frederick Stearn my Suit of Blue Cloath & My new Buck Skin britches: Item to my brother Fredericks oldest son John Stearn, One hundred acres of my land; upon Juniate: Item to my cozens Arthur & Charles Conegham my interest to one hundred acres more upon Juneato: ITEM to Arthur Coneygham my new Great Coat: Item to Henry Conynyham five pounds Item to Catherine Conynham five pounds if she lives with her Aunt; untill she comes of age; * be obedient to her; a horse and Saddle to ye Value of Fifteen pounds, ten shillings, or the Cash Item to Brother Leonard Stearn my blue Camblet Coat & ye Cloath that is in the house for my jacket I order further that my Beloved Spouse Jean Stearn and Arthur Conynham be the whole and Sole Excs of this my Last Will and Testament: Given under my hand 15th day of February 1761”.




No comments: