Wednesday, March 25, 2015

But will I be able to play the violin?

I had an uncle who lost his left arm after his vehicle was sideswiped by a truck many, many years ago. In the days before air conditioning, it was not uncommon to drive with an arm propped in the open window and that was my uncle's undoing. Forever since, "Don't prop your arm in the driver's window" has been a family tenet. I think it has even been mentioned to my grandchildren. Barb reminded me this morning that it was even the topic of an old Burma Shave sign:

     "Don't stick your arm
     Out too far.
     It might go home
     In another car."

I was much younger when I had contact with Uncle Erwin; he and his family lived in Louisiana and the visits were infrequent, but I remember being fascinated about the lack of his arm - and how little effect it had on him. In an era when there was no Velcro and pull-over shirts simply weren't worn, he learned to button his pants and shirts with one hand. Driving was never a problem, and he even learned to tie his shoelaces with one hand!

I can't. Tie my shoelaces with one hand, that is. I know this because my left arm is currently in a sling, common procedure after arthroscopic surgery. It was minor surgery, but has temporarily made me like my Uncle Erwin.

Truth be told, I am not one-armed. I'm more one-and-a-half armed. I can easily use my left hand - if it is within close proximity to my body. What I cannot do is extend my left arm forward, or to the rear of my body, and only partially to the side. If I can get the task at hand near to me, I'm good. The rest will have to wait for physical therapy and healing.

In this temporary condition, I have been made more aware of what an actual disability might mean; I try various tasks just to see if  I can do them with one hand. I can type, even if it is the Columbus method (find the key and land on it). For those keyboard functions that require two hands, there is a Windows feature called "sticky keys" that provides assistance for combinations like Alt-Ctl-Del. Apple builds a similar function into the OS operating system as well.

Shoelaces? Velcro or elastic shoelaces. Shirts and buttons? Easy, depending on the hand available, or with "button aids." Pull your pants on? Doable, but it's not pretty without "dressing sticks." In fact there is a wide variety of ability products and devices available, including sock aids, one-handed belts, one-handed nail clippers, one-handed can openers, Wash your hand? Sponges do the trick.

But playing the violin? Some things were just not meant to be.

No comments: