Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Demerit Badges

My father and my brother were active in Scouting. I had a very short tenure in Cub Scouts. I don't think I was actually kicked out - that particular memory is sort of fuzzy - but I was not encouraged to join the local Boy Scout troop when I was older. Go figure. But the other day I came across something that really resonated with that era - Demerit Badges! Yes, Demeritwear.com offers a wide range of badges to mark dubious achievements. Among them, "I Burned My Marshmallow."


And its counterpart, "My Hotdog is on Fire."

Or how about other outdoor achievements, like "Chair Lift Issues."


Or "Sailing on Abilene Zoo Lake."


Or "No, we don't need gas."


And a couple I can certainly identify with - "Blisters" and "Deep-Sea Fishing."



There's a series on Mountain-top experiences familiar to our family:


Peaks obtainable by auto, I might add. And then there's the food achievements:





But my favorite is the "Old Geezer" badge.


There are many more badges of dubious merit. I'm sure you'll find something that's just right for you.

1 comment:

pat said...

John was a cub scout dropout too.