Friday, April 27, 2012

Wow! A free Fiat!

This came in the mail the other day  -


See the key pasted on the back of the car in the photo? That's a real key and I'm certain that it is the one that will start the new Fiat and let me drive it off the lot. But there's more!

So in addition to a free new car, they will give me an iPad also. Too bad I can't read all the fine print. It probably says something about all the other nice things they are going to do for me when I bring in my winning key.

I have to tell you that I haven't been all that lucky with these kinds of contests in the past. I remember that Edwards Jewelers back in my home town had a big sale once, and if you came in the store you could choose a diamond from a big jar and they would look at your diamond with one of those eye-glass thingies and tell you if you picked the real diamond. I didn't win. And several times stores in town would have a little treasure chest that you could pick a key to see if you could open the chest and win whatever it was in there. I didn't win any of those, either.

I did win a free pound of Bologna one time at Minchew's Grocery, the little store close to our house. All you had to do was tell Mr. Minchew how much to slice off the big stick of Bologna. I used to eat a lot of Bologna, so it was pretty easy. It's a good thing he wasn't giving away free olive loaf.

My other concern is that Fiat of Austin does not have a lot to drive the newly-won car off of. They are located in the Domain, our ritzy, up-scale shopping area, and a car lot just wouldn't fit in there, oh no, so they have a store front and park cars in the store and sometimes out on the sidewalk. And there's a bunch of steps to get from the street to the sidewalk and I'm pretty sure it would do something significant to the depreciation of the car if you drove it down the steps. The cars are pretty small, however, so maybe the salesmen pick the cars up and move them, like the guys in the dorm used to do with my little Renault.

But those are just details to be worked out after my winning key starts my new car. Tootles!

1 comment:

pat said...

One time mom got an advertisement with one of those keys, I think it was a furniture store but don't really remember, and she realized it wasn't a fake key and took it and won a little table lamp. It was a cut glass looking lamp that we had for years. Don't know if you remember it or not.