Monday, April 2, 2012

Monday Meanderings - 4.02..2012

Happy day after April's Fool Day.

In my Springtime in Austin blog, I forgot to mention the Texas Relays - another spring-time event that draws thousands of high school and collegiate athletes to Austin every April. I personally never participated in the Relays - I deem it short-sighted of them to not offer sack races or three-legged events.

Saw a bumper sticker that said "Running Man for President - 2012." I guess if Leslie is gone there is a local weirdness vacuum that needs to be filled. My references to Austin's Running Man - the dude who runs and dances on the HEB grassy median - continue to have the highest number of Google hits on this blog, some 220 page views thus far, more than double the next highest Google search term.

I'm thrilled to be paying nearly $4 a gallon for gas. Why, I can remember when gasoline was only 16 cents a gallon. Of course, the minimum wage then was only $1.00. I got in trouble at the radio station when I read the news item that the minimum wage was going up to $1.25 and commented that all the disc jockeys were getting a raise.

The dominant wild flower in Central Texas and the Coastal Plains this season is a bush with pale greenish-yellow blossoms. Acres and acres of them. Turns out that's a bad thing. The plant is Rapistrum rugosum, commonly known as (blush) Bastard Cabbage.It's a pernicious, invasive species that chokes the life out of a bed of bluebonnets and smaller wildflowers.

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/artattack/bastardcabbage.jpg

More than 23,000 people ran the Capitol 10K this past week; so many that the winners crossed the finish line before the last of the runners crossed the start.

Yesterday we concluded our church service by singing "The Lord Bless You and Keep You" with a rousing A Capella (of course) rendition of the seven-fold Amen. As we were leaving, Barb muttered, "Take that, Presbyterians!"

And I leave you with...

1 comment:

pat said...

I've been seeing lots of those yellow flowers and I like yellow flowers but not if they choke out the other wildflowers.