Monday, December 3, 2012

Monday Meanderings - 12.03.2012

During the week I make notes of various events or ideas that I intend to comment about in the next Monday Meanderings. If you have any idea what I was going to say about "race car gift" or "sharp things" please let me know.

I have mentioned often that the official motto for my home town is "Keep Austin Weird" - an anthem that we demonstrate often and in any number of ways. It has come to my attention that other cities have mottoes as well. For example, according to the sign in Monk's Coffee, "Keep Abilene Boring" is the slogan for that city.

Went to Fran's the other morning and an older woman approached our table with a menu in hand. I wondered if we had usurped her table after she went to get a menu, but then I realized it was Fran herself. I looked up later and she was busing tables. Ah, the joys of ownership.

While on the subject of dining, I saw that back in August Newsweek magazine named the City Market in Luling as one of the 101 best places to eat in the world! Really? I'm guessing that there are several million places to eat in the world - and even with 53 tasters sent out by the magazine, they must have been very, very busy. And full. Mind you, I'm a fan of City Market; I rank it best of all the BBQ joints in Lockhart/Luling, but I'm open to the idea that there might be a better place somewhere in the world. Never stop searching. That's my mantra.

When it's 80 plus degrees outside, Roasting Chestnuts on an Open Fire is somehow not appealing, seasonally speaking. For sure, I'm not getting out the Santa hat.

And I think the heat is getting to Frosty. Or maybe it was the night on the town.

No comments: