Tuesday, April 8, 2008

It's a mystery

Recently Google added Austin to its controversial "Street View" - the feature that not only shows you a map of your selected address - it lets you see the buildings, houses, and (especially in the downtown areas) even people. Of course, being curious, I immediately entered our address, only to find that Google doesn't know where we live. They think we are located some 56 street numbers up the way. But with a little navigation, I was able to locate our house.


View Larger Map

From this view, it's easy to come up with the approximate date that the Street View Crew drove down our street; late December or early January. If you zoom in you can see the little Santa that Julie gave us Christmas standing in the front flower bed. And from the shadows you can tell that it is early morning.

Now here's the mystery. What on earth was the car doing parked headed out on Mom's side of the driveway? I have absolutely no recollection of parking like that. Occasionally we will back in on my side of the drive to load something, or park the car in the drive to make room in the garage to do something. We had not been out and about that day - the light above the garage is still on (you have to navigate to see that). I know that we didn't leave the car out all night - this was during the rash of auto window shootings. And the garbage can is out beside the house. What were we doing?

It's a mystery.

3 comments:

Rob said...

Some detective you are.

The picture was taken on the morning of December 27, 2007 between 9:30 and 10:30 in the morning. (I think - one piece of evidence I am not sure about)

Now, tell me how I know.

Bob said...

I guess I'm not aware of my environment. I had to ask Rob how he knew. But in all fairness, it could have been on December 28th as easily as December 27th. J&J - you guys should be able to figure it out easily.

Rob said...

I am actually leaning more toward the 28th at this point. For what it is worth!