Thursday, April 10, 2008

Not just the street corner any more

Today I stopped by my Allergist’s office to get my twice-weekly shot. I had forgotten to bring a book so after checking in I was looking for a magazine when someone tapped me on the shoulder. I turned, and a man said to me, “I thought that was you. I came in because I was sure I recognized you.”

I’ve never seen this man in my life, so I’m sort of looking like, Huh?

He then asked me, “Where were you working fifteen – no, sixteen years ago?”

I was still rather taken aback, but I said, “Renaissance Systems.”

“Yes, that’s right. I was sure I remembered you. I did janitorial work for them back then. Are you still working there?”

Small alarm bell begins ringing. “Uh, no. I retired last year.”

“Well, I’m at the Wal-Mart on Slaughter now. Started there Monday. Looks like you’ve put on a little weight” he said, patting my stomach. “’Course I have too,” patting his.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

“You know, I lost my Mamma two weeks ago. Lung cancer. It sure has been hard on us.”

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

“And I just started my new job, and I haven’t been paid yet, and I remember that you’re a good man…”

“Uh, excuse me. I think they just called my name. I have to go now. Goodbye.”

3 comments:

Rob said...

t appears Austin is not the only city that has those issues.

http://www.lubbockonline.com/stories/041308/loc_268019115.shtml

Bob said...

Dude. You are up way too late!

Rob said...

And you are up way too early! (I think. May way too late?)