Monday, April 29, 2013

Monday Meanderings - 4.29.2013

Had a coffee crisis at our house this past week. After preparing everything for my evening coffee, I pressed the "Brew" button and the coffeemaker just sat there a moment, then beeped a couple of times like it was all through. Which, technically, it was because it had done everything it was going to do. I pushed, prodded, poked, plugged and re-plugged, but that coffeemaker had brewed its last. No coffee tonight, in my sugar.

I guess I passed some kind of addiction test, because I didn't head out immediately that evening for a new maker, though it was very, very tempting. I was able to calm my nerves sufficiently 'till the next morning; then, after several cups of extra-strong at Fran's, I headed over to Walmart to choose a new coffeemaker.

You may not be aware, but the current offering of coffeemakers is either the high-dollar, do-everything brewmeister machine, or the underpowered Mr. Coffees. Either that or the one-cuppers. I know that there's a strong following for that form of coffee communion, but I'm firmly in the multi-cup fellowship. So what to do?

I finally chose a mid-range Mr Coffee. It's more awkward to use than my old maker, but it brews a nice cup and that's what counts. Who knew coffee technology was so hard?

Speaking of Fran's, while I was there a car-hop from the Sonic drive-in next door came in to pick up an order, and yes, she was on skates. It was strange enough to see her skate out the door, but I cannot imagine how hard it was to navigate the rough, pot-hole-filled parking lot between the two establishments, Not to mention a high curb to hop over. I didn't see the spilled remains of a breakfast order when I left, so I guess she made it.

I noticed in the news that a gun manufacturer was leaving the mounting restrictions of an Eastern state to relocate... in my old home town of Breckenridge. I guess Governor Goodhair's ad campaign to people in the gun business is working. I have no trouble visualizing a warm welcome to a fire-arms manufacturer from the folks in Breck.

Saw a fellow panhandling the other day while wearing a Darth Vader mask. I'm not sure he thought that through - he wasn't getting any business. In fact, most, like me, were rolling up the car windows and locking the doors.

I have a question.
Just what is "traffic calming?" Are they going to play soothing music along the route? Plant a series of lovely flower beds? Put up works of art to peruse? IMWTK.

1 comment:

pat said...

they are going to calm the traffic by adding curves and curbs. From what I hear it just upsets the drivers Speeding down the street is a lot easier.