Monday, April 8, 2013

Monday Meanderings - 4.8.2013

Well, yes, we did take the blanket off the bed a trifle early this year. Should have learned from that cold snap last week that it could still be a bit chilly in April here. However, since the cold front brought about 3 inches of rain over a two-day period, we are not complaining!

We had some business to conduct in one of the downtown glass towers this week. Hadn't been downtown in a long time (and have no desire to go back soon). Had to park in a garage in the adjacent block; then when we left I was completely turned around. Parking garages do that to me. I'm beginning to understand how the "Missing Elderly" notices come about. All it takes is a few circles in a downtown parking garage and the next thing you know you are in Tulsa looking for something familiar.

There was an old newspaper man in Abilene named Frank Grimes who would muse in print about the pending arrival of spring. There might have been every indication that a new season was at hand, but he concluded there was a problem if "The old mesquites ain't out!" Well, the mesquites are out in Austin (unlike West Texas you have to hunt long and hard for a mesquite tree around here). But the pecans are not; at least not my pecans. To be sure, other pecans around the neighborhood are still barren, but I'm ready for my pecan - the big one out front - to leaf out. It had a hard fall, and I worry about it. I'm thinking about dragging a chair out there so I can sit and and keep it company and watch for the first leaves. Will a watched tree leaf?

A news article said someone trashed the DMV driver's license facility. The one on North Lamar. The one nestled up to the state headquarters of the Highway Patrol. You know, where all the State Troopers hang out. One might think that someone would notice. Just saying.

Standing at a CVS checkout counter next to a rack of various gift cards, I noticed that you can load your Starbucks card with as much as $500. I like my coffee, but I'm thinking that might be just a tetch too much.



1 comment:

pat said...

The mesquites in west Texas have leafed out but my pecans haven't. But I see a tiny green tip on some of the branches.

You live in a more moderate climate but my houseplants don't do out here until mid-April. I keep remembering snow on April 7th. Next week the plants go out!