Wednesday, July 17, 2013

High School days - Stories from the Attic

In our great attic clean-out, we came across several boxes full of keep-sakes - old photos and such. From those, I have mined some blog stories.

During my senior year in high school, I was on the Annual staff. I don't remember how I got that assignment, but it was a demanding position - here we are, hard at work.

We had the last period of the day for Annual staff duties, we were often away from the campus on assignments, and best of all, the entire staff enjoyed a yearly trip to Austin to attend a conference and workshop. More about that trip in a moment.

My official title was "Art Director." That meant I was responsible for the art in the book. Here's the art. Somehow I ended up with the original, scotch tape-stained drawings, stored away in a box in our attic.
The character is a "Nebbish," based on a comic strip drawn by Herb Gardiner that was popular in the day. I drew them to use on the divider pages introducing the various sections of the book; Sports, Personalities, Classes and Organizations. Here's the the finished product.
About that trip to Austin - I have mentioned before that the UIL and extra-curriculum trips to Austin were highlights of the academic year, and we worked hard to get in on as many as possible. Here's the Annual staff, in front of the venerable Driskill Hotel, waiting for our chariot.
 Burk and I seem to have some kind of weapon in hand. I guess what happened in Austin should stay in Austin.  At least the UT campus police were not involved. Not on this trip.

No comments: