Monday, July 29, 2013

Monday Meanderings - 7.29.2013

Let the count down begin.
 I am not ready to see Back-To-School merchandise in the stores. No, I'm not. Doesn't seem to matter, though, because it's all out there. Why, school doesn't even start until... Oh. Uh, never mind.

Austin has added another big crowd-drawing event to the schedule - the Summer X-Games. The TV program about extreme sports is moving from Los Angeles to Austin for the next several seasons. Most activities will be held at the Circuit of the Americas, but some of it, of course, will be downtown in the "Entertainment District (6th Street).

Speaking of traffic, for three days in a row there were accidents involving overturned 18-wheelers on I-35 and on the Toll Road. Sort of brings things to a dead stop when that happens. One of the wrecks was a single-vehicle accident - no other vehicles involved!

The other day a little old lady got on the treadmill next to me at Silver's Gym. I wasn't sure she was even going to be able to get up on the device, but she managed, and in a minute I looked over and noticed that she was outpacing me! Time to up the effort.

Artifacts retrieved from the recent attic clean-out:
According to old W2 forms for the tax year 1984, it was a busy year for the family, employment-wise. I worked for Nash Phillips-Copus and the University of Texas. Barb worked for First Presbyterian Day School, the University of Texas, and Today's Temporary. Julie worked for SoFro Fabrics. Rob worked for Abilene Christian, Nash Phillips-Copus, Bill Milburn Homebuilders, and Scarborough's Department Store.

Yesterday in church, a friend sitting next to me received a word - or several - from on high. He was following along in his Bible App on his iPad as the minister was reading the sermon scripture. One wrong touch, and the App begins reading the verses aloud and my friend couldn't get it silenced. I thought we were going to get all of 2 Corinthians read aloud before he could get up, clutching the iPad to his chest, and flee the auditorium.

And speaking of embarrassing moments, the other day when I was ready to check out and pay for my groceries the cashier said, "Strip down, facing me."

After the shrieking and hysterical shouting finally subsided, I found out that she was referring to how I should position my debit card.

Nonetheless, I've been asked to shop elsewhere in the future.

They really need to make their instructions more clear for us seniors. Man, I hate this getting old stuff.

1 comment:

pat said...

You are so funny. Love to start my Monday morning laughing.